Air Pollution Action Day Notice Issued for August 1st
Sunday, July 31, 2011
CHICAGO, IL – The Partners for Clean Air and the Illinois Environmental Protection Agency are issuing an Air Pollution Action Day alert for the Chicago Metropolitan area for Monday, August 1st. The impacted area includes Cook, DuPage, Grundy, Kane, Kendall, Lake, McHenry and Will counties in Illinois. This is the fourth Air Pollution Action Day for 2011.
An Air Pollution Action Day is declared when weather conditions are such that widespread ozone or fine particulate matter (PM2.5) levels are expected to be at or above the “unhealthy for sensitive groups” category on the Air Quality Index. Current conditions are expected to meet these criteria; therefore, an Air Pollution Action Day alert is being issued for August 1st. Ozone levels are elevated, posing a potential health risks to sensitive populations, especially individuals with respiratory or pulmonary disorders as well as active children and adults. Those individuals should take special precautions and follow their physician prescribed regimen. Residents should keep cool and limit physical activity when air pollution levels are high.
On Action Days, Partners for Clean Air members, businesses and residents of the Chicago metropolitan area are asked to follow “Green Actions” (list follows) to reduce contributions to air pollution.
- Take public transit, Rideshare walk or bike.
- If driving, avoid idling, consolidate errands and run them after 7 p.m. when sunlight is not as strong.
- Switch to compact fluorescent light bulbs.
- Set your thermostat up at least 2 degrees during the summer.
- Turn off and unplug electronics not in use.
- Use environmentally friendly household and cleaning products.
- Use a charcoal chimney or gas grill instead of lighter fluid when grilling.
- Avoid using gasoline-powered equipment on Air Pollution Action Days.
- Do not burn leaves and other yard waste.
- Check your local daily air quality forecast or sign-up to receive your forecast via email at www.cleantheair.org.
Partners for Clean Air is a non-profit coalition consisting of businesses, government entities and health advocate groups committed to improving the region’s air quality through voluntary actions. The coalition has issued Action Day alerts since its formation in 1995. More information can be found at www.cleantheair.org.